The summer transfer window is now open in Europe, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling around. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: West Ham plot swoop for Goretzka
West Ham United have identified Bayern Munich midfielder Leon Goretzka as a potential replacement for Declan Rice, according to Sky Sports Deutschland’s Florian Plettenberg.
The Bundesliga champions are reported to be open to moving on the 28-year-old, with Bayern manager Thomas Tuchel assessing the market for a new No. 6.
However, while Bayern have been looking for a transfer fee in the region of €50 million, Goretzka wants to remain at the club and has rejected requests to discuss personal terms with other clubs.
Goretzka played an important role in his side’s Bundesliga title win last season, contributing five goals in 27 league matches, and he still has three years remaining on his contract.
The Hammers have also been linked with a move for Fulham’s Joao Palhinha, reportedly having a first offer of €50m rejected.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga & more (U.S.)
– Read on ESPN+: Explaining the language of the transfer window
15.09 BST: Man City are keen to sign RB Leipzig winger Dani Olmo to replace Riyad Mahrez, says Football Insider.
Mahrez, 32, is set to join Saudi Pro League side Al-Ahli where the Algeria international will earn around €50m a year in wages.
Spain international Olmo is on City’s shortlist to replace him having notched five goals and 11 assists across 31 appearances in all competitions last season.
However, Leipzig have already seen Dominik Szoboszlai (€70m) and Christopher Nkunku (€60m) depart to Liverpool and Chelsea respectively, so may not be keen to allow Olmo to leave as well.
14.33 BST: Agent Jorge Mendes is working overtime to try and seal a transfer for his client Bernardo Silva to join PSG, says Footmercato.
Silva, 28, was a standout performer for City as they won the treble last season but has made it clear that he wants a fresh challenge.
The Portugal international midfielder has been linked with Barcelona, while clubs in Saudi Arabia are also trying to persuade him to move there, and City want a reported fee of around €70m to let him go.
PSG are looking to replace Lionel Messi, who left on a free transfer to move to Inter Miami this summer, with the futures of Neymar and Kylian Mbappe also up in the air.
13.55 BST: The Athletic reports that Chelsea have seen a £70m bid to sign Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo rejected.
Caicedo, 21, has already been the subject of a £60m offer from the Blues, who now need to work out how high they are willing to go.
The Ecuador international would be happy to leave Brighton, but signed a new contract in January until 2027 and the club are holding out for £100m at least.
England U21 international defender Levi Colwill, who spent time on loan at Brighton last season, could be used as part of the deal.
13.40 BST: Chelsea like signing young players now, so it’s no shock to see them linked with young Japan prospect Keisuke Goto.
Goto, 18, plays for Jubilo Iwata and has West Ham, Ajax, Feyenoord and Sevilla on his trail, with Chelsea now added to the list, according to The Daily Mail.
The 6-foot-3 striker missed the World U20 Championships for Japan through injury, but has evidently shown enough to attract the interest of Todd Boehly now.
13.04 BST: The Daily Telegraph reports that Manchester United will move for Atalanta striker Rasmus Hojlund once they seal a €51m deal for Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana.
Onana is expected to sign a five-year deal this week, to replace David de Gea, but Erik ten Hag also wants to bring in a centre-forward.
Hojlund, 20, is a rising star and, at around €60m, would come a lot cheaper than Tottenham’s Harry Kane. The Denmark striker scored nine goals in 32 matches for Atalanta, but is a player of some potential.
12.36 BST: Real Betis have confirmed the signing of former Arsenal and Barcelona right-back Hector Bellerin.
Bellerin, 28, spent a season on loan at Betis in 2021 and then moved to Barcelona on free transfer. However, he headed out on loan again, this time to Sporting CP in January, making 13 appearances and scoring once, after struggling for game time at Camp Nou and was released this summer.
Now he has opted to continue his career in Seville with Betis.
12.15 BST: When will we see Lionel Messi in an Inter Miami shirt?
When will Messi make his Inter Miami debut?
Sebastian Salazar talks about when Lionel Messi is set to make his debut with Inter Miami.
11.31 BST: Leicester are looking to complete a loan move for Man United winger Amad Diallo, says The Daily Mail.
Diallo, 21, signed for United from Atalanta in 2021 for €21m, plus another €20m in add-ons. He did well on loan at Sunderland last season, scoring 14 goals to help the club to the Championship playoffs, but doesn’t look likely to compete for a place in United’s first team yet.
Leicester want to sign a replacement for winger Harvey Barnes, who looks set to move to Newcastle United, West Ham or Aston Villa after they were relegated, with a loan for Diallo top of their list.
10.52 BST: Brighton are leading the race to sign England U21 forward Cole Palmer on loan from Man City, says The Daily Telegraph.
Palmer, 21, was limited to just seven starts across all competitions for City last season and the club are keen to let him develop on loan. Burnley and Leicester have also been linked, but Brighton are reported to be closing in on his signature.
Brighton are also looking to do a deal for €25m-rated Fiorentina defender Igor, according to The Evening Standard. The 25-year-old Brazilian is being tracked by Fulham, but could move to a different Premier League club.
10.24 BST: Chelsea striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is set to take a huge pay cut to join Marseille, says The Evening Standard.
Aubameyang, 34, joined Chelsea for £12m from Barcelona last summer just days before his former boss at Borussia Dortmund, Thomas Tuchel, was sacked.
The Gabon international scored three times in 22 games but is keen to leave Stamford Bridge and has agreed personal terms on a move to Marseille. However, the French club want to sign him on a free transfer, while the Blues are keen to get at least £5m.
10.00 BST: RB Leipzig have completed the signing of PSG defender El Chadaille Bitshiabu.
Bitshiabu, 18, joins for €15m and has signed a contract until 2028. The France U19 centre-back is considered one of the top young talents in Europe and played 19 times for PSG’s first team.
“I am pleased to be a part of RB Leipzig from now on,” he told the club website. “The club enjoys an excellent reputation in France. On the one hand, through the sporting successes, on the other hand, because you can develop excellently here as a young player at the highest level. The sports management around Max Eberl showed me this special and attractive path, which inspired me from the beginning. Now I can’t wait to prepare for the new season with the team.”
09.21 BST: AS reports that Inter Milan are keen on signing Atletico Madrid striker Alvaro Morata.
Morata, 30, scored 13 goals in 36 games for Atletico last season but spent a few years on loan at Juventus from 2020-2022.
The Spain international is also a permanent target for Roma and Juve, but Inter have reportedly made a €15m bid to sign him after abruptly pulling the plug on talks to sign Romelu Lukaku.
08.30 BST: Chelsea will make an improved bid this week for Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Moises Caicedo, reports the Evening Standard.
Caicedo, 21, was the subject of two transfer offers from Arsenal in the January window, but the Seagulls stood firm in their valuation of £80m.
The Ecuador international signed a new contract shortly after the window closed, but it was always expected clubs would come back with renewed efforts to sign him this summer.
The report says that Chelsea have identified Caicedo as a key signing as Mauricio Pochettino looks to reshape the club’s midfield ahead of the new season.
Chelsea have already had a £60m bid rejected, and will now return with an offer of more than £70m. However, that doesn’t exceed the bid Brighton rejected from the Gunners six months ago, and the player’s contract means Brighton will hold out for a fee closer to £100m this time.
Laurens: Declan Rice takes Arsenal to the next level
Julien Laurens explains why Declan Rice was Mikel Arteta’s #1 transfer target this summer.
– Manchester United are considering a move for Fiorentina defensive midfielder Sofyan Amrabat, writes Fabrizio Romano. Manager Erik ten Hag is keen to strengthen United’s midfield options, with Donny van de Beek and Fred expected to leave Old Trafford, and the 26-year-old Morocco international is among their potential options. However, it is reported that United are first focusing on a move for a striker.
– Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane isn’t interested in a move to Paris Saint-Germain, reports the Daily Telegraph. Sources told ESPN on Monday that the 29-year-old, who has been linked with Bayern Munich, has emerged as a priority for PSG and they are ready to make Spurs a significant offer. However, it looks as though he isn’t open to a switch to the Parc des Princes.
– Two Premier League sides are looking to acquire Leeds United forward Wilfried Gnonto, reveals Nicolo Schira. Both Aston Villa and Everton are reported to be keen on landing the 19-year-old Italy international, with the Toffees proposing a €18m deal that includes €6m in bonuses. He contributed to six goals in 24 league matches last season.
– Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez is close to joining Saudi Pro League side Al Ahli for a fee worth £30m, reports The Athletic. A medical is reported to have been scheduled for the 32-year-old this week, while City are already assessing the market for potential replacements. They are also determined to keep Bernardo Silva at the club as uncertainty continues to surround his future.
– Progress has been made in talks between Chelsea striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Marseille, according to Foot Mercato. The 34-year-old is expected to leave Stamford Bridge, and is close to reaching full agreement over personal terms. Talks are yet to begin over a transfer fee.
– United States midfielder Alan Sonora had his FC Juarez contract terminated by mutual consent on Monday, the Liga MX side announced. Sonora, who was part of the USMNT Gold Cup roster, joined FC Juarez in February and played only eight games (three as a starter) and is now a free agent.